Thursday, November 18, 2010

Quent's Advice

I sometimes like to follow the good advice of a friend of mine who I call Quents.
He is a HUGE film fan, so huge, my brother and I like to think he's the only person in the world who saw and liked the movie Speed Racer. He's got loads of good advice but the nougat that stuck with me was something about personalising art. Like;

"You gotta put yourself into your art! Otherwise whats the C&*9t-F#@!&g
point you S8*@ licking a$$ toothp&^%$.... you digg??"

His words struck a chord in my not-yet-fully-developed frontal cortex, the kind of advice I imagine my Wise-Uncle-Ben would give me, if only I had a Wise Uncle Ben... I got a Sassy-Auntie-Annie, which is close. Quentie makes a point about specificity, which is quite trite.
You can make a choice in your art, to make something general, in an effort to reach someone, or possibly a vain attempt to hide yourself from your audience. Or else you can be so personal, so specific; out of left field and culled from the chasm of your own life experience, that it relates not to the cultural mass, but the human condition.
I'm generally too terrified to achieve something so specific. It's private stuff, and so easy to hide in coyness or fashion. Yet beware the hollow ring of an empty appropriation, more often than not a bastardisation than a tribute, you can't really copy something that is so personal.
Thanks Quents. "No problem Oli!"

No comments:

Post a Comment