Friday, May 27, 2011

Tiger Moth

I finished recording two songs in the last few days.
One is for Hans Pucket, a band I started with Callum so he can bash the drums and I can write annoyingly catchy 60's disco and Motown numbers, distorted as all hell. I like the idea of a two piece, white stripes/Simon and Garfunkel line up. Callum has said he talked to Liam Finn at camp about the benefits of playing with a brother like he does with Elroy, and I agree, It's pretty awesome. The last gig we played had a highlight for me when I was in the middle of our Motown song and I busted out the bridge bass line from Lady Madonna, and callum knew exactly what I was doing, he just went with it. That's not jamming, it's a lot closer to mind reading.
The song I recorded is called Smokey Ghost and has a lot more going for it lyrically than I first realised, and I freaking love it when that happens.
I try when I write lyrics not to follow any linear thread, but more what I think just sounds right. I tend to choose phrases that fall into place naturally because of either vowel sounds that I want, or the rhythm of the melody. The lyrics end up collage like, and a lot of their meaning I like to think happens subconsciously, although generally there is a point I'm trying to make, I don't overthink it too much, because they end up waaaaay overthought and complex like the ones in the last post.
I like Smokey Ghost because the random, "spooky" annoying tone of the song matches the lyrics really well. I think the song's meaning is pretty clear.
The second song is one of a batch I've written recently with the melody first. It was an abnormally sunny Saturday for autumn, I just made cookies and was walking round with the guitar playing randomly. The melody just popped out of nowhere, but I think it had roots in Smoked too much by Lawrence Arabia. I wrote the lyrics about a week later when I was biking through Hagley park en route to the Dentist and thought I'd have a sit down on a bench by the museum. I realised that I had had the melody in my head for a solid week, and I better do something about it. The lyrics were shit so I wrote another random poem about a classic Loved-and-Hated leader-type which sprung up really quick after I got the first line "Humming hymns" down. Turns out with a bit of tweaking it fitted perfectly and I had the song.
I called it Tiger Moth after my favourite phrase in the song, It's a pretty awesome name when you think about it. It's an oxymoron. It's a plane. It has tiger in it.
Fuck its a way better name than custard bear. But theres already a band called it. Damn.
The dentist was shit. I got a filling, and nearly bit a hole through my eerily numb lip biking home. But they backdated it to before I turned 18 so it was free.
I've also written a whole host of Custard Bear songs recently. One called Silent Lions, as in yawning, One called Summer, its wicked. They both sound like a cross between mgmt and conan mockasin, but when we get it into the band with jack and callum it sounds completely different, one of the joys of having a band with three completely different people. Okay, one different person and a pair of twins.
Theres another song with a chorus that sounds like the copacobana. I'll tweak it, It'll be okay. They all sound really cohesive though, and I really want to make an ep out of them. Exciting times.

1 comment:

  1. for those of you playing at home, heres tiger moth http://www.mediafire.com/?nkw877k78ddvfdr
    and heres smokey ghost http://www.mediafire.com/?9de4i5l9ifgcnc2

    ReplyDelete